Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
It is clear that the proposed changes described in the previous episodes will require savings. This is particularly true of modes of transport. Nowadays, every department is arriving at the set with their truck or minivan. So we have a light truck + a power generator, the grips’ truck, a key grip’s truck, camera operators’ van and an audio van, as well as a minivan for image recording and archiving. We have a vehicle for make-up and costumes. We have vehicles for passenger traffic. The set design and production department have their individual means of transport. With big budget films, this large amount of transport is only partly justified. The problem is that it does not decrease in small productions. This is due to the habits described above. Each production department is a state within a state, and any attempt to merge individual departments, thus forcing savings, will be opposed. Lorries carry tools that are doubled between them (tools for carrying out various work on the plan, ladders, platforms, camouflage, etc.) as well as tools that are to be used for the realization of a given project but in fact never leave these vehicles in a significant proportion, because they are actually stored there “just in case”, while the problem is that you have to pay for it all. This excess of tools and means of transport puts a burden on the budget of the film, but serves the motto I mentioned already in this essay:
“Cinematographic production within a predetermined budget creates technical and financial conditions for the director to move the screenplay onto the screen in the shortest possible time.”
We want to refresh this principle and offer considerable savings.
As it could be
Many changes in tools and means of transport will force an automatic redefining of the film professions, make a previs the basic document for the film. This is described above. However, we should try to change this systemically:
- Cinebus is the basic vehicle in a small-scale film set. A bus that meets most of the needs of small film production i.e.:
– Editing room
– Video Village, i. e. recording and archiving
-Server for the intranet
– Camera operator and audio equipment
– Basic lighting and grip equipment (dolly + rails, small crane stored on the roof rack), small generator
– For larger projects, the generator towed behind the Cinebus
– One MUA Position
– Coffee bar and snack bar
– The projection room in the tent, which is also to serve as a bluescreen studio.
- Create a new audio-visual communication system on set based on smartphones. Film Spring Open wants to build a system of such a communication model
– Each member of the team will be able to communicate with each other
– Video streaming for all smartphones, tablets, laptops and workstations.
To-date and currently edited material + previs
Footage of the second team
- With previs, the planning of tools, facilities and film production equipment is much more accurate.
The role of Film Spring Open.
Every theory needs to be tested in practice. Not all elements of the new structure can be introduced immediately. Compromises are also inevitable.
In order to ensure that the whole discussion on our idea does not end with a theoretical bargaining, we want to test our system in practice. We want to make a feature film (selected and in consultation with our partners), which would be a practical test of the proposed changes. Only in this way can we present our model to the film community in a responsible way. We want to properly document the whole process from both the descriptive side (a making-of) and production documents, including cost calculation and comparison with existing project cost estimates of the same scale.
Sławomir Idziak “How to make films cheaper and better” 13.12.2017
All graphics in the text by Marta Dalecka
- Michał Sobociński will lead the Sony Venice Group
- Agata Nawrocka will lead Nuke The Art of Visual Effects Group
- Wojciech Staroń will lead Canon Documentary Film Group
- Why is it worth to join the contest? We ask winners from 2017 edition
- The Interactive Narration Group will continue the project during Film Spring Open 2019
- Film Summer Masterclass in Görlitz
- Sławomir Idziak will lead the Actors Previs Group this year
- Competition for a PZU SA Preventive Campaign: fifteen scholarships to win!
- Dorota Kędzierzawska will lead Family and Children’s Film Group
- Jagoda Szelc will lead screenwriting group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join us at the audiovisual workshop Film Spring Open 2019!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!