The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
The American system of production of high-budget films is based on two teams. The production is based on the assumption that the most valuable time on the set is the period when the actors cast in the main roles (stars) appear on the set. Due to the star-sized fees, the crew can’t afford to shoot the so-called they can’t afford to make cutaways, or even countershots for “less important actors” in. The second team shoots all long shots (actors are replaced by body doubles), “plates” that are needed for VFX, close-ups or even whole scenes that are rated as less important for the finished film.
In practice, however, this system has many other advantages. In action films, where the second team usually films enemies (like the Somalis in “Black Hawk Down”), their much more important role is to “clean up”: the director with the editor, watch the already edited scene orders to make additional shots needed to edit the part.
We would like to propose a system in which the second team would be responsible for labor-intensive tasks that do not require the presence of the director, also for the above mentioned “cleaning”, but most of all, and this is a novelty in this system, for the preparation of the next set object/location for the filming. That is why it is so important in the new system to redefine film professions.
Let us follow in practical terms the nature of these changes.
As it is
In the traditional model, after selecting (or constructing) the sets, the set designer together with the interior designer and prop master prepare the location for filming on the eve of commencement of work on a given object. The set or location is decorated with furniture, repainted, furnished with necessary or decorative props.
The next day, the proper filming team appears, starting with lighting up the set, followed by (it often happens in parallel) the actors’ rehearsals and the actual filming.
When the pictures are finished, the interior designer, the prop master or their assistants reappear on the location and return the object to its original state.
As it could be
We want (and this model has already been partly tested on the set of Natalie Portman’s film “A Tale of Love and Darkness”) to propose for small-scale productions (or especially for small-scale productions) a model of the second team, whereas the list of such team’s duties would be much longer. We want to build a more efficient system with much fewer specialists. I mentioned one of its elements, the Visual Director. I would also like to remind you that it will not matter whether their origin will be in set design or cinematography. In the new system, the Visual Director and their Assistant (currently the 2nd Cinematographer) will be responsible for the entire visual side of the film. Likewise, the Director will have their trusted partner (2nd Director). The obligation to prepare, and later dismantle, the next set or location will fall on these two closest assistants (a novelty).
But most of all, the Second Director and Assistant Visual Director will be responsible for the filming of the second team.
Let’s follow the workflow of the new system.
- Selection of the filming object/location by the Director and Visual Director
- Discussion on necessary changes in the facility (The Second Director and Assistant Visual Director should already participate in this part of the work)
- At the time when the first team is filming in the location “A”, the Visual Director assistant prepares the location “B” for both in set design and lighting (a novelty and significant saving of time). So they do all of the work previously discussed with the Visual Director. Their work is much easier because they use a previs, so they know what and how will be needed for the film.
- The first team arrives at the location prepared not only from the stage design point of view, but also in the technical aspect (preliminary lighting, VFX blue screens)
- When the first team finishes shooting the scene in location “A” and moves on to location “B”, the Director’s Assistant and Assistant Visual Director continue (“clean up”) with the still unmade shots in location “A”. After they have finished, they return the location to its original appearance. It was this particular model that we applied on the set of Natalie Portman’s film, which resulted in the situation that on the last day of the film we didn’t have anything to shoot – a situation practically unheard of on the set of a debut film.
- A new communication system will assist in synchronising and interpreting of tasks. The film set in the new system will be equipped with an Intranet (Cinebus) and a communication system (including video streaming) ensuring direct viewing of the first and second team’s footage. This will allow the director to control the work of the second team.
[Extracts from the Essay “How to make films cheaper and better” by Sławomir Idziak.]
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!