The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
Film Spring Open Foundation offers many opportunities of career development for filmmakers and students of arts/film schools and aims to support and promote the audiovisual market in Poland and increase its competitiveness.
Our workshops are based on modern approach to film making and venturing into the future in the audio-visual sector. Not only we aim to follow and teach the newest trends on the market but more importantly, we research and introduce new solutions in practice. The best example of such activity is designing, building and introducing our Cinebus – a mobile film studio, which is a new and unique tool of film production on the Polish market.
Our approach and mission has led to the point where we are becoming an avant-garde of the new Film Production Model, which for the second year in a row will be the main subject of our annual 10-day Film Spring Workshop.
For those of you who would like to become more familiar with the concept we will publish a series of excerpts from Mr Sławomir Idziak’s essay entitled “How to make films cheaper and better”. Enjoy the part 1.
HOW TO MAKE FILMS CHEAPER AND BETTER.
The new Film Production Model – an outline of the concept that we are implementing at the Film Spring Open Workshop. By Slawomir Idziak
The film production system established over the years, has not changed or changed slightly in relation to the radically transformed technology. The world is shaken by crises, industrial production is steered by cost optimisation, governments are introducing budget cuts. Meanwhile, the world of film does not change much. Technological revolution has had little or no impact on the film production system, even though it should have increased its efficiency.
In modern industry, there are three rules that are absent or near-absent in film production:
Risk control (Risk management)
Flexible production (Agile Manufacturing)
Management and Production (Lean Manufacturing)
It is worth considering why this happens, what are the reasons for the lack of modernization and what should change. […]
In short, the new system will have the following features:
Quality – risk management – in addition to the scenario of creating a previsualisation (rough draft version)
Savings – a successful’ Microwave’ funding model in London
Organization – Time management in film production – more efficient use of production time through new organisation of work on plan, new tools and reduction of means of transport (Cinebus)
Technology – modernised infrastructure (Cinebus) and adaptation of working methods by rejecting old habits related to previous techniques
We want to apply the proposed model to contemporary small-scale films and films made by young debuting directors. The new model is aimed at producing more films for less money, and will therefore offer more debutants the opportunity to start a career, and institutions that are appointed to fund film creation will propose and test a model of economic use of available resources. We believe that more films can be made as part of the same measures, allowing more newcomers to start a career.
Why is it as it is?
We should start the analysis of the state of affairs from the origins.
The leader on the global movie market is the film industry in the United States. It completely dominates the world markets, generating the highest profits. Every student at the film school dreams of making a career in Hollywood. The copying of American films is widespread worldwide. At the same time, we are copying American production standards. Using studio production supporting software we forget that it was developed on the basis of a specific system, the changes to which are blocked by very strong American trade unions. Moreover, studio cinematography is still very profitable, and therefore the urge for change is weak. This is not entirely true, because American producers have long been looking for savings by simply moving away from Hollywood (run-away productions) and, for example, more films, where action takes place in New York City are actually made in Toronto, because it is cheaper there. It is an open secret that an American studio film made in Europe would consume 40% less funds than in Los Angeles. […]
It does not mean that the situation is better in Europe, and it does not just to American films only:
In the “1920 Battle of Warsaw” we had more than sixty shooting days. A historical, military film, with a lot of extras, 300 horses, battle scenes, cost about eight million euros.
One year later, together with my colleagues from Film Spring Open, I made a German film, a small-scale one, also historical, also set in the nineteenth century, with two actors (not stars), few extras. Only thirty-one days of cinematography, or 50% less, and the film cost one million euros more than the “Battle of Warsaw”.
The conclusion is not that in Poland filmmakers earn drastically less money. It does not mean either that the system of production and spending money on films in Poland is good. This is simply a lege artis (because the legislation in these countries is different) exercise in throwing money out of the window. […]
The film production system has developed over the years and has been preserved for years without cleansing itself, being immune to necessary organizational changes, which should be forced by the technological change. Another reason lies also in our common vice. We simply do not want to change our comfortable and proven habits when embracing new products, especially if such habits seem to benefit us. We do not notice that the changing world demands a revision of our (often profound) patterns and behaviours.
The new system is not only worth discussing and writing about. It has to be tested in practice, and it is not just about economics and savings.
- 32 movies in 10 days!
- “Secrets of Wawel” win Hackathon!
- We are extending the Film Spring Open Workshop!
- Make independent cinema with Wiktor Obrok!
- Konrad Kruczkowski will mentor the Youtubers Group
- Magdalena Miśka-Jackowska will be a tutor of the New Green Model Production Group!
- The 16th edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop is starting in less than a week!
- ARRI Crime Movies Group with Sławomir Idziak and Martn Demmer!
- Artur Homan and the Nature Films Group!
- Konrad Aksinowicz will supervise Music Videos Group!
- From participant to mentor. Maciej Kunach will supervise the Video Games Group!
- NUKE the Art of Visual Effects with Agata Nawrocka!
- The Commercial Film Group with Jan Cieślar as a mentor!
- Marcin Koszałka will supervise the Sony Venice Group!
- Tomasz Siwiński and Animation Group at Film Spring Open!
- Film Spring Open: The Wawel Hackathon
- Canon Documentary Film Group mentor will be Oscar-nominated director Hanna Polak!
- Join Virtual & Augmented Reality Group led by Konrad Ziaja and Martn Demmer!
- Florent Pallares will lead Interactive Narration Group 2021!
- Congratulations to winners of PZU Competition!
- Join CGI and modern editing group!
- Join VFX Group and win Nuke license!
- Check the program of Film Spring Open 2020
- Director Olga Czyżykiewicz will lead Music Videos Group
- Konrad Ziaja will lead Virtual Reality Group
- Join Film Music Group
- Adam Suzin and Beata Rakoczy will lead Group Sony Shooting in Rough Conditions
- Bloger Konrad Kruczkowski will lead Internet Creators Group
- Pawel Dyllus will lead Arri Crime Movies Group
- Slawomir Idziak will lead New Green Production Model Group
- Florent Pallares will lead Interactive Narration Group
- Canon Documentary Films Group
- Filming on a virtual set group
- We invite you to join Nature Films Group
- Contest for a PZU SA preventive campaign
- Jagoda Szelc will lead scriptwriting group at Film Spring Open 2020 online edition
- Film Spring Open – Lab of the audiovisual future. Welcome to the 2020 Film Spring Open Workshop!
- The Kissinger Twins will lead a masterclass at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join the Video Games Group with Bloober Team!
- We invite to join Sony Xperia Youtubers Group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Andrey Zvyagintsev (“Leviathan”, “Loveless”) will be a guest at Film Spring Open 2019
- Learn about ecology and come to Green Film Open discussion panel at Film Spring Open 2019
- Artur Reinhart will lead the Nikon Movie Close-up group
- Sophia Kyriacou will be a guest at Film Spring Open 2019
- Wanda i Marcin Kędzierzawscy will lead the SFX and special effects make-up group
- Paweł Dyllus will lead the Arri Group – crime movies now and in the future
- Gabriel Ziaja will lead Virtual Reality HP Group this year!
- Check the program of Film Spring Open Workshop 2019!
- Kuba Sobek will lead CGI and modern editing group
- Music video contest: win one of a three workshop scholarships!
- Michał Sobociński will lead the Sony Venice Group
- Sławomir Idziak will lead the Actors Previs Group this year
- Agata Nawrocka will lead Nuke The Art of Visual Effects Group
- Wojciech Staroń will lead Canon Documentary Film Group
- Why is it worth to join the contest? We ask the winners of 2017 edition
- The Interactive Narration Group will continue the project during Film Spring Open 2019
- Film Summer Masterclass in Görlitz
- Competition for a PZU SA Preventive Campaign: fifteen scholarships to win!
- Dorota Kędzierzawska will lead Family and Children’s Film Group
- Jagoda Szelc will lead screenwriting group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join us at the audiovisual workshop Film Spring Open 2019!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!