The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
Our international and interdisciplinary film training, the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. We would love to thank everyone who participated, supported and made this event possible to happen.
Our Filmspringers’ family is growing every year and this October about 300 participants and dozens of members of academic and technical staff learnt and worked together for 10 amazing days in Krakow, Poland.
This year’s edition proved once again that the Film Spring Open Workshop has become one of the biggest audiovisual workshops of new technologies in the world. Participants working individually or in 23 creative groups made films using the high-tech film equipment worth over 2,6 million euros (PLN 11,5 mln), provided by over 60 technology partners, including world’s top brands.
Photos: Filip Błażejowski
Participants had 10 days to prepare, shot and edit their projects. The final show of their films was the celebration of creativity, cooperation and passion for the cinema.
Young filmmakers produced various short forms, including documentaries, commercials, VR and AR projects, interactive internet projects, music videos, animations both in traditional or digital techniques using Unreal Engine, Maxon Cinema 4D, Davinci Resolve 15, AVID and ProTools. They also had an opportunity to develop their treatments and scripts in the screenwriting group led by two top Polish screenwriters or design the poster for their movie.
Apart from practical learning through filmmaking, which is the trademark of the workshop, the educational progamme included 35 lectures and Q&As with top specialists and covered such various subjects as new technologies, animation, film debut, international co-productions, Artificial Intelligence, documentary making, psychological aspects of creative work, visual dramaturgy, financing of film projects, production of nano-budget films and many others, also including detailed analyses of films made by the workshop’s guests.
Very popular among filmmakers were professional workshops (circa 30) as well as numerous demonstrations of possibilities offered by the newest film software and equipment (Microsoft HoloLens, HoloportalTM – Mixed Reality Experince presentations, AR and VR workshops, workshops on New Production Model, character and Cartoon animation using Cinema 4D, CGI, pitching and synopsis, SFX, editing, motion capture and many, many others).
Group tutoring, lectures and workshops were delivered by renowned specialists and filmmakers, including Oscar winners (two-time winner Neil Corbould or Ewa Puszczyńska).
The main theme of the workshop was the New Film Production Model which allows to make films cheaper and better. Participants could test possibilities offered by the Cinebus, a mobile film studio built by the organizers according to the rules of the new production model.
As Sławomir Idziak, the initiator and Artistic Director of the Film Spring Open Workshop stated during the closing lecture,
“this was an exceptional edition regarding both the number and quality of films that were produced during the workshop, and it is clearly visible, that you [participants] learn and make use of modern tools of film language. The team work is also crucial and one can see how long-term collaborations are being initiated here and various professionals meet to experiment together and to develop their skills at the crossroads of different aesthetics.”
The workshop brought together participants from many parts of the world (1/3 of participants being foreigners), meaning that these collaborations are often international or even transcontinental and therefore they build the global network of filmmaking community and create new, exciting possibilities in the film market.
The workshop itself wouldn’t be possible without a great teamwork and collaboration with our amazing partners.
Therefore, we would like to thank the institutions which financed and supported this year edition: Creative Europe MEDIA Programme of the European Union, the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, the Polish Film Institute, The City of Krakow and the Małopolska Region.
Krakow Festival Office (KBF) and Krakow Film Commission co-organized the event and thanks to their long-term support, for the last few years, each autumn Krakow becomes one big filming location for our participants.
Our professional training wouldn’t be possible without the support from our Technology Partners who cooperate with us and very often also with each other to bring the best possible solutions and the newest equipment and software to our participants. We are honoured having the opportunity to cooperate with such innovative and renowned brands.
We are very grateful to our Partners and Organizational Partners for providing our participants and guests with new, exciting possibilities and enabling us to develop and improve each ear.
Thanks to our Media Partners, our activities are visible and we host more and more participants each year. Big thanks to all amazing media that cover our little story of fulfilling a big dream of filmmaking accessible to young talented people from all backgrounds.
- The Kissinger Twins will lead a masterclass at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join the Video Games Group with Bloober Team!
- We invite to join Sony Xperia Youtubers Group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Andrey Zvyagintsev (“Leviathan”, “Loveless”) will be a guest at Film Spring Open 2019
- Learn about ecology and come to Green Film Open discussion panel at Film Spring Open 2019
- Artur Reinhart will lead the Nikon Movie Close-up group
- Sophia Kyriacou will be a guest at Film Spring Open 2019
- Wanda i Marcin Kędzierzawscy will lead the SFX and special effects make-up group
- Paweł Dyllus will lead the Arri Group – crime movies now and in the future
- Gabriel Ziaja will lead Virtual Reality HP Group this year!
- Check the program of Film Spring Open Workshop 2019!
- Kuba Sobek will lead CGI and modern editing group
- Music video contest: win one of a three workshop scholarships!
- Michał Sobociński will lead the Sony Venice Group
- Sławomir Idziak will lead the Actors Previs Group this year
- Agata Nawrocka will lead Nuke The Art of Visual Effects Group
- Wojciech Staroń will lead Canon Documentary Film Group
- Why is it worth to join the contest? We ask the winners of 2017 edition
- The Interactive Narration Group will continue the project during Film Spring Open 2019
- Film Summer Masterclass in Görlitz
- Competition for a PZU SA Preventive Campaign: fifteen scholarships to win!
- Dorota Kędzierzawska will lead Family and Children’s Film Group
- Jagoda Szelc will lead screenwriting group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join us at the audiovisual workshop Film Spring Open 2019!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!