Previs – New Workflow.
Previs – New Workflow
The script of course still exists and follows, as always, the selection path.
We assume that a previs is an additional phase of internal development. That is, we propose to make films in the traditional order, that is:
- Directing it to production and obtaining funds on the basis of a script, and only then the director together with their closest employees prepares the previs. Thus, the previs is created in the internal working mode only for the crew executing a given project.
- As in the case of scenarios, a previs may (should) be modified during the preparation period until the ready-for-production version which is satisfying for everyone.
- Budgeting, the filming, selection of objects for the film, set design and construction – all this is done also on the basis of a previs, not only the screenplay.
The period of preparation for the film and all its elements should also be connected with the rough draft version.
If the actors playing in the previs were not the final choice of the director, the test filming is made with the help of substitutes. The operator could also try his visual ideas.
We include the outline of the musical score proposed by the composer.
We make the previs editing versions (trials of an alternative structure of a future work), determining the proportion between the main and secondary motifs.
- The film’s editing takes place directly on set and each time we exchange pre-assembled scenes for those working with Pre-vis.
- The so called screening of materials is always a screening of a whole previs “updated” with newly filmed scenes. That is, each time we watch the whole film – a patchwork consisting of new scenes and scenes from previs + any ready VFX – visual effects, or their mock-ups.
- Scheduled break after 30%-40% of the planned shooting time. During this period, confrontation of the initial version of the infinite film with the test audience (or a potential distributor). Discussions about the direction in which the film is going. Implementation of corrections to the remaining schedule of shooting. In addition, a preliminary colour correction. Preliminary music editing.
- Finishing the filming above before a break.
Final editing and post-production of audio and visual equipment
- As traditional, but with a re-designed scope of responsibilities of individual professionals (as will be described later on in the chapter “Film Professions”).
The drawbacks of a new work plan?
The system was supposed to be economical, and there are new elements adding cost from the production point of view – making a previs, a scheduled break in the filming.
- Our calculations show that the money spent on previs production will result in savings. Previs will be a much more accurate “document” of the film than a script, thus facilitating planning. It will ensure more precise calculations of what will really be needed to make a particular film.
- A break in filming is an idea to make it easier to control and improve the quality of a future film. This is another element of managing the risk connected with film production. The industry has a saying, ‘Risk management costs money, but lack of management costs even more’.
We believe that if the interruption is well planned, it will not increase production costs. Please note that the break does not increase the number of filming days. During this period the team returns the equipment to the rental company, so we do not pay for it. The technical team has a planned and unpaid (or barely paid) break. In addition, the interruption automatically shortens the postproduction period.
In addition, the filmmakers will be spared from shooting additional “just in case” scenes at the end of the filming period, which is a standard behavior of almost every beginning director.
Like any new system, this one will too drown in our habits. Even if there is something valuable here, nobody will want to implement it.
- We are aware of this and that is why the Film Spring Open Foundation, in the form of a “case study”, wants to test this model in practice. This document is also a working document for discussion and will be amended.
- Practical and documented actions (production of the film) will be an test of this theory, and will also allow for its modification.
- Please note that our model of change is much deeper than the structure described above. We also want to redefine the system at the level of all film professions, as described in further excerpts on our blog.
[Extracts from the Essay “How to make films cheaper and better” by Sławomir Idziak.]
- Congratulations to winners of PZU Competition!
- Join CGI and modern editing group!
- Join VFX Group and win Nuke license!
- Check the program of Film Spring Open 2020
- Director Olga Czyżykiewicz will lead Music Videos Group
- Konrad Ziaja will lead Virtual Reality Group
- Join Film Music Group
- Adam Suzin and Beata Rakoczy will lead Group Sony Shooting in Rough Conditions
- Bloger Konrad Kruczkowski will lead Internet Creators Group
- Pawel Dyllus will lead Arri Crime Movies Group
- Slawomir Idziak will lead New Green Production Model Group
- Florent Pallares will lead Interactive Narration Group
- Canon Documentary Films Group
- Filming on a virtual set group
- We invite you to join Nature Films Group
- Contest for a PZU SA preventive campaign
- Jagoda Szelc will lead scriptwriting group at Film Spring Open 2020 online edition
- Film Spring Open – Lab of the audiovisual future. Welcome to the 2020 Film Spring Open Workshop!
- The Kissinger Twins will lead a masterclass at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join the Video Games Group with Bloober Team!
- We invite to join Sony Xperia Youtubers Group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Andrey Zvyagintsev (“Leviathan”, “Loveless”) will be a guest at Film Spring Open 2019
- Learn about ecology and come to Green Film Open discussion panel at Film Spring Open 2019
- Artur Reinhart will lead the Nikon Movie Close-up group
- Sophia Kyriacou will be a guest at Film Spring Open 2019
- Wanda i Marcin Kędzierzawscy will lead the SFX and special effects make-up group
- Paweł Dyllus will lead the Arri Group – crime movies now and in the future
- Gabriel Ziaja will lead Virtual Reality HP Group this year!
- Check the program of Film Spring Open Workshop 2019!
- Kuba Sobek will lead CGI and modern editing group
- Music video contest: win one of a three workshop scholarships!
- Michał Sobociński will lead the Sony Venice Group
- Sławomir Idziak will lead the Actors Previs Group this year
- Agata Nawrocka will lead Nuke The Art of Visual Effects Group
- Wojciech Staroń will lead Canon Documentary Film Group
- Why is it worth to join the contest? We ask the winners of 2017 edition
- The Interactive Narration Group will continue the project during Film Spring Open 2019
- Film Summer Masterclass in Görlitz
- Competition for a PZU SA Preventive Campaign: fifteen scholarships to win!
- Dorota Kędzierzawska will lead Family and Children’s Film Group
- Jagoda Szelc will lead screenwriting group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join us at the audiovisual workshop Film Spring Open 2019!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!