Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
One of the most popular sections of the Film Spring Workshop’s programme is Meeting with an Artist series which comprises of Q&A sessions with renowned artists and screenings of their films.
Our guests share with us their experience, analyse their work, answer questions and very often share their debut stories which are of high value to emerging filmmmakers wanting to break through in the challenging film industry. Therefore, apart from well known and already established filmmakers, we always try to invite artists to whom young filmmakers can easily relate and whose debut experience is a recent one.
The first filmmaker in our Meeting with an Artist series that we have a pleasure to announce has been called by many a major new voice in European cinema and since her debut last autumn she has been showered with various awards. We are very happy that young but already a widely acclaimed writer-director, Jagoda Szelc will join us during this edition of the Film Spring Workshop.
The main theme of the meeting with Jagoda at this year’s Film Spring Workshop will be creating a film using a very limited budget. Having made already two films which had quite an impact on the Polish filmmaking scene, Szelc seems to be the perfect match for such a discussion. She will share her experience on how to schedule and choose filming locations in order to make the most out of them artistically and how to use a budget in the most efficient way. Many rules that Jagoda applies to her productions are in parallel with the rules of the new film production model advocated by our foundation and described by Slawomir Idziak in his essay How to make films cheaper and better.
During the workshop we will show the new film written and directed by Szelc whose production cycle was very unusual as the film was made in 6 months using what Jagoda described as a nanobudget (the financial means designated for its production did not exceed 200 thousand PLN/circa 46 thousand Euro).
Monument is a diploma film of the students of the Acting Department of the Film School in Lodz (PWSFTviT), a recent initiative which enables the fourth year students to complete a full-length feature film in cooperation between all the departments. Because of a small budget what counts in such a project is a common passion for cinema, creativity, hard work and skilled networking, also very much needed when working on a debut film with limited financial resources.
Monument is featured in the Visions Apart Competition of the 43. Polish Film Festival in Gdynia. This is the most important Polish film event and one of the oldest film events in Europe promoting the Polish cinematography where Jagoda’s first feature Tower. A Bright day has already won Best Debut and Best Screenplay when premiering last autumn. Then the film bowed internationally in the Berlinale’s Forum, where it had its world premiere.
Jagoda was our guest last year when she presented her debut film Tower. A Bright day and won our hearts. Jagoda’s fresh voice as an artist but also as a person who manages, balances and inspires the entire team behind the film production process proved to be interesting both to young filmmakers as well as experienced professionals and lecturers participating in the meeting.
Meeting with Jagoda Szelc at this year’s Film spring Workshop will take place on the 22nd of October. Prepare yourself for a great dose of inspiration and practical tips on how to make films.
Director and screenwriter born in 1984 in Wroclaw, Poland. Student of the Directing Department at the Film School in Łódź. A graduate of the Academy of Fine Arts in Wroclaw. Granted a scholarship by the Aristotle University in Thessaloniki and the Polish Minister of Culture and National Heritage. Her films have been screened at festivals such as the Karlovy Vary International Festival, Hot Docs, Cannes Court Métrage, New Horizons and the Brooklyn Film Festival. Her short Such a landscape/Taki pejzaż (2013) won the Golden Tadpole award (Złota Kijanka) at the 21st Camerimage Film Festival. For the film Tower. A Bright day received awards for the best directorial debut and best script at the Polish Film Festival in Gdynia 2017. Film was presented in the prestigious Forum section of this year’s Berlinale.
Promotional materials of Monument film were used in the article
- Michał Sobociński will lead the Sony Venice Group
- Agata Nawrocka will lead Nuke The Art of Visual Effects Group
- Wojciech Staroń will lead Canon Documentary Film Group
- Why is it worth to join the contest? We ask winners from 2017 edition
- The Interactive Narration Group will continue the project during Film Spring Open 2019
- Film Summer Masterclass in Görlitz
- Sławomir Idziak will lead the Actors Previs Group this year
- Competition for a PZU SA Preventive Campaign: fifteen scholarships to win!
- Dorota Kędzierzawska will lead Family and Children’s Film Group
- Jagoda Szelc will lead screenwriting group at Film Spring Open 2019
- Join us at the audiovisual workshop Film Spring Open 2019!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!