AI in Audiovisual Art. Online course.
How is creativity possible in this rapidly changing landscape? What can it currently consist of? How do we enter into collaborations with AI systems so that the results of such collaborations are as valuable as possible for creators and audiences? I will seek to answer these and related questions with the course participants.
1. The scale and significance of the AI revolution – 3h + 1h discussion
- Where did it all come from and how did we move rapidly from an ‘AI winter’ to an all too hot summer? – Accidental breakthroughs and emergence in artificial intelligence systems.
- Where we are and where we are going: recent discoveries and developments in generative AI models and their societal implications, as well as the predicted directions and expected dynamics of further developments.
- AI ethics, trust and coexistence strategies, AI and copyright law.
2.Prompt engineering and working with text models – 3h + 1h Q&A
General construction and principles of generative models of different kind (no expertise required) – what is the memory of a system, how it is learned, learning phase and inference phase, ways of generating results in different systems, latent space (black box), ideas and meanings in latent space.
- Prompt engineering – what is it and how to develop this skill? General characteristics and examples in the context of textual (GPT-3.5, ChatGPT) and image generative models (MidJourney, Stable Diffusion, Dalle-2)
- Text generation using ChatGPT, OpenAI Playground and complex chained systems.
- Presentation of other specialised models: AIdungeon, Character AI. Comparison of properties of different textual generative systems.
3. Working with visual models – 4h
- Image generation with MidJourney, Stable Diffusion and Adobe FireFly – background information, comparison of working methods, basic applications.
- Advanced image generation methods in Stable Diffusion: inpainting, outpainting, ControlNet, DreamBooth – presentation, advanced working methods and applications.
- From single to moving image: DeForum – animations and animatic.
- First generative video models: Imagen Video, Make-a-Video, RunwayML GEN-1 and GEN-2, Kaiber and others – current stage and pace of development, working methods.
- AI editing: Descript, RunwayML – current stage, pace and developments.
4. Other useful areas of AI development for creators – 3h + 1h discussion
- AI models for working with background sound and music: AudioLM, MusicLM, AIVA and others.
- AI models for working with spoken text: Whisper, ElevenLabs, Bark.
- Other examples of AI applications: 360 image generation, 3D object generation, NeRF.
- Combining models of different types and environments with AI (Hugging Face, Google Colab, nVidia Picasso) 1.5h presentation.
- How to keep your finger on the pulse of AI? Sources of knowledge. Concluding discussion.
We warmly invite you to sing up for the film course online!