Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
Jagoda Szelc met with the participants of the workshop after the screening of her second feature film “Monument”, which brought her the Special Jury Award at the 43rd Polish Film Festival in Gdynia for “an innovative film narration and consistent following her own creative path.” During the previous edition of this most important Polish film festival Jagoda’s first feature Tower. A Bright day has won Best Debut and Best Screenplay.
Monument is a diploma film of the students of the Acting Department of the Film School in Lodz (PWSFTviT), an initiative which enables the fourth year students to complete a full-length feature film in cooperation between all the departments. Such a project has a very small budget and is very challenging to young filmmakers.
Surely rightly then, Jagoda described herself as an expert on nano-budgets. “The discipline concerning sticking to the budget guarantees the final success – making something we intended, instead of making something that came out this way by accident.”
During the lecture she focused on film production from the director’s point of view. “Starting from the position that there are other people who should be responsible for the way the film is being produced is naive. You, as the director have a great influence on the way film is being made.”
Talking about the start of one’s professional path as a filmmaker, the director claimed: “If you think that you are determined to make a film you should multiply this by two and then add something extra”
Jagoda devoted a big part of her lecture to the logistics of a film set and specifically to film locations. Regarding the budget she underlined that absolutely every expense should be considered important as even the small ones sum up to the significant amount at the end.
Therefore choosing the film location is extremely important as its geographical location, renting fees, availability and the stenographic opportunities are the key factors influencing both the budget and the director’s vision.
She indicated the importance of team working and the right choice of people to work with. The young director described the consecutive stages of building the team, particularly choosing the people, building the relationship or working on set.
People must know that they have been chosen specially to work on a given project. Only then they will not have the need to prove constantly their competence and will be able to concentrate on their tasks.
As everywhere else, communication is the key. Not only what we say matters but also how we say it. The language should express mutual respect and the commands be clear and precise. Mistakes should be talked about but in a respectful and understanding way.
Working with a nano-budget requires making savings everywhere but Jagoda advises to film two/three scenes without calculating the funds in order to make the viewer believe in the world that is being created. “Understand your scenes, what they are about and then choose the right ones to make them for real, no half-measures.”
Some rules that Jagoda presented during the lecture, like the presence of an editor on the set, or a very careful pre-producion are in parallel with the rules of the new film production model advocated by our foundation and described by Slawomir Idziak in his essay How to make films cheaper and better.
Jagoda Szelc appears as a very conscious and experienced artist, who think of the work of the filmmaker both holistically and in very detailed way, which will undoubtedly allow her to take up masterful positions in the field of audiovisual arts. We wish all Filmspringers to find their creative way and hope this was a great source of inspiration.
Join us at the audiovisual workshop Film Spring Open 2019!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!