Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
The Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, the Film School in Lodz (PWSFTviT ) and Film Spring Open Foundation have joined their efforts and expertise to create a joint project across the borders.
The result of this cooperation is The Summer Masterclass during which students from both of the film schools will produce a film using Cinebus, a mobile film studio provided by our Foundation. Cinebus will park in the historic city centre (Übersicht Marienplatz) of Görlitz, a town in the German state of Saxony. It lies opposite the Polish town of Zgorzelec. Regardless of their turbulent history, today Görlitz and Zgorzelec, two towns on opposite banks of the river, get along very well. The bridges over the river have been rebuilt and the cooperation between the two cities resulted in renaming Görlitz the City of Culture.
In such a symbolic location, from the 30th of July till the 11th of August, German and Polish young filmmakers will work on a joint project.
This is not the first film adventure for Görlitz. Due to its historical architecture the city has a great potential as a shooting location and it was used as the primary location for Wes Anderson film The Grand Budapest Hotel. It was also used as the location in the movie-in-a-movie Pride of the Nation for Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds, The Book Thief, The Reader and the first German 3D film Die Vermessung der Welt.
– In Görlitz/Zgorzelec border towns physically linked by bridges we can promote building a metaphorical bridge between cultures and encourage exploring subjects that trigger the process of community thinking. And it must not be done in the serious way. Let us try to focused on a common objective – truly European audiovisual project/s – exlpains the idea of the project Prof. Slawomir Idziak not as cinematographer but educator, founder of our Foundation, a Visiting Professor at Filmuniversität Babelsberg and spiritus movens of the creation of the Cinebus.
Cinebus and the new model of film production are the answers to the ineffective and outdated film production system which has not adapted to the radical advancement of technology. The new model proposed by our Foundation includes all main rules of modern industry, which for many reasons are overlooked and absent in today’s film production: risk control (risk management), flexible production (agile manufacturing), management and production (lean manufacturing).
More detailed insight into these issues can be found in the essay by Prof. Idziak: How to make films cheaper and better .
Cinebus provides production and post-production services which allow to produce a small-scale feature film from scratch to a final DCP. Students participating in the Summer Masterclass in Görlitz will have a great opportunity to use all of its functionalities in practice.
With the Cinebus, the location becomes a production location: a wonderful form of contemporary dialogue. The Cinebus and the participating film students are clearly visible in the respective public and produce a direct effect. The Cinebus project combines in a fascinating way the tradition of the medieval artists of the traveling people with the high-end cinema production – says Prof. Peter Badel, the Cinematography faculty at Filmuniversität Babelsberg Konrad Wolf.
Thanks to Cinebus, young filmmakers will be able to implement the rules of the new production model on their filming set. The point of departure for their films and the motto of the entire project is “crossing the borders”. Young filmmakers will interpret the motto in a few or one short film, depending on their choice. They can film, do post-production and then screen the produced material everyday, which will allow to introduce changes and improvements when still on the set. Cinebus is a great tool of the new production model and allows cheaper film production, therefore being a great chance for young debuting filmmakers to start their career.
We are convinced that sustainable development and economical solutions are the future of film production – underlines the importance of these solutions Prof. Badel.
Prof. Badel, together with Prof. Zbigniew Wichłacz from PWSFTviT in Lodz and Prof. Idziak as well as Dr Veit Quack are responsible for this wonderful idea of the Summer Masterclass and its implementation.
Following the tradition of painters’ en plein air, our Summer Master Class will be en plein air for young German and Polish students – filmmakers to give them the opportunity to network, socialize, relax, get inspired and at the same time make a film or films – says Prof. Slawomir Idziak.
Similar idea of „en plein air”; however, on a huge scale is being implemented each year during international and interdisciplinary Film Spring Workshop organized once a year by our Foundation. The 13th edition of our workshop will take place in Krakow, Poland, 17-26 of October, 2018 and like every year there will be also the space for exchange of ideas and looking for new solutions regarding modern film production. Please feel invited to join us this year!
- Jagoda Szelc at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Visual Dramaturgy. Sławomir Idziak at the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- „You cannot make better fire than the real fire” – Neil Corbould – the special guest of the Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Tough way to debut. An Oscar winner, Ewa Puszczyńska – the special guest of Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- Character and Cartoon Animation in CINEMA 4D: 3 Case Studies – Fabian Rosenkranz at Film Spring Open Workshop 2018
- The 13. edition of the Film Spring Open Workshop has come to an end. Thank you!
- Neil Corbould, a two-time Oscar winner arrived to teach special effects in low-budget filmmaking and Ewa Puszczyńska, an Oscar winner for Ida gave a lecture on film debut – the third day of the Film Spring Workshop behind us.
- Make an animated music video for Siles, Zuza Jabłońska or Laboratorium.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop.The Lost Town of Świteź (dir. Kamil Polak)
- The latest technologies, talking Virtual Hologram and mind-tripping experiences in VR – our Special Guests: James E. Marks & Chris Szkoda from DoubleMe (London)
- Having a good head for filmmaking – about the mental training in the profession.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. Dawn and Short Film About Life
- LG YouTubers group. Be smart, use your smartphone to make a film.
- Screenings at the Film Spring Workshop. 7 FEELINGS/ 7 UCZUĆ.
- Framework programme of the Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Canon – Nature Films Group
- Make a music video for Tymon Tymański & MU and win the scholarship at our workshop
- Get a scholarship and join our brand new group! Open call for the sports film group.
- Interactive narration group. Only you
- Meeting with an Artist – Jagoda Szelc
- The Film Summer Masterclass has come to an end but this is just the beginning of great friendships and collaborations.
- From an idea to a story- from a line to a film. Painting animation group
- Make yourself a movie poster. A film graphics group
- Laila Pakalnina to tutor the documentary group at Film Spring Workshop.
- Tools and means of transport in the new model of film production.
- Fantastic worlds of UNIT9
- Crossing the borders. Summer Masterclass
- Borys Lankosz will teach screenwriting at the Film Spring Workshop.
- Augmented reality cinematic experience group
- The second team – how to speed work without losing in quality control.
- OPEN CALL for Film Spring Workshop 2018
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be? cont.
- Film professions. How is it and how could it be?
- Previs – New Workflow.
- Slawomir Idziak will hold a Visual Dramaturgy Workshop with introduction to New Model of Film Production in Bratislava.
- Filmmakers and artists at the Zakopane Festival of Films about Art. Promotion of the New Model of Film Production.
- New Production Model. Part 4. All about Previs
- New Production Model. Part 3. Chaos, or how the cinematography is done in the film
- Sławomir Idziak with the award for lifetime achievement. Cinebus at the PSC award ceremony.
- New Model of Film Production. Part 2. New is born from the death of the old
- The New Model of Film Production. Introduction.
- What you should know before coming to the Film Spring Workshop 2017
- The Summary of the Film Spring Workshop Programme 2017
- Internet stars at Film Spring Workshop.
- The battles, shootings, car chases, explosions – we shoot action scenes
- Revolution in Motion Capture accessible to anyone
- Allegro at the Film Spring Workshop – film project contest
- Make your own video game!
- Boost your technical filmmaking knowledge at Film Spring Workshop
- “Race cars, space jumps and explosions – putting every boy’s dreams into 3D graphics”. A presentation and workshop by Matthias Zabiegly, Aixsponza.
- Interactive Narration Group 2017 is waiting for you!
- Film Spring Open 2016 Daily Schedule
- Juliette Binoche at Film Spring Open-Air
- Neurobiology of creativity. For love of the Brain
- Previs Group is waiting for you!
- Audiovisual Workshop „Spirit Possession or Confession” through the prism of the work of the French anthropologist and historian Michel de Certeau.
- Open Call to Commercials Group at Film Spring Open-Air
- Equipment at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Only at FSO! Re-creating workflow of Natalie Portman’s directorial debut “A Tale of Love and Darkness”
- Sławomir Idziak workshops at FSO "The Triple Life of Veronique”
- Actors at Film Spring Open Air 2014
- Graphic of Film Spring Open Air 2014!
- Equipment at FSO – information from technical team
- Recruitment results – Filmspringers 2014
- CHIMNEY POLAND supports Film Adaptations of Theatrical Spectacles Group!
- Music Videos Group KAYAX at Film Spring Open Air!
- Join Interactive Dramaturgy Group!
- Polish Society of Cinematographers offers scholarships for Film Spring Open Air!
- Commercial Advertisement LOTTO Group at Film Spring Open Air!
- 105 000 PLN for scripts associated with Małopolska – Call for VII edition of the Competition “Three Crowns – Małopolska Film Award”!
- Invitation from Young Artists Set of the Union of Artists of Polish Scenes
- FilmSpringers’ "Your Place" now on VOFF
- Film Spring Open Air nominated for the Polish Film Institute Award!